Welcome to the Year 2 Penguin Class page for Coronavirus related closure or non-attendance.
Oak Academy has some lovely lessons which are sequential – tackle them in order from the first day of isolation. Some do not involve writing, but developing concepts or skills. For most, children will need pencil and paper ready to draw or write. Children could tackle more than one lesson or write a response to what they hear and learn. If children write poems as a response to these lessons, please share them!
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 1 To listen and respond to a story https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-listen-and-respond-to-a-story-ccrk4d
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 2 To tell a story from memory https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-tell-a-story-from-memory-6rrk0c
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 3 To build descriptive language https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-build-descriptive-language-6guk4d
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 4 To use expanded noun phrases to describe https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-use-expanded-noun-phrases-to-describe-c8wk2t
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 5 To retrieve information https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-retrieve-information-6wr66r
Coyote lesson reading 5
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 6 To describe using the senses, speech. https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-describe-using-the-senses-cmt3cd
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 7 To explore how writers make description vivid (read as a writer) https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-explore-how-writers-make-description-vivid-read-as-a-writer-c5k3cd
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 8 To write a vivid description (Part 1) https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-write-a-vivid-description-part-1-68wp2r
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 9 To write a vivid description (Part 2) https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-write-a-vivid-description-part-2-6gtk0t
- How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth 10 To write a vivid description (Part 3) https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-write-a-vivid-description-part-3-6mvk2e
Spelling and Reading
In maths we have spent time exploring column addition and subtraction, exchanging tens. These videos may be helpful in reinforcing this at home: https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-2/week-7-number-addition-subtraction/
We are celebrating our differences as people, and as part of this beginning to explore the ideas of stereotypes and assumptions this term. isolation PSHE 16.11.2020
As our PE unit is all about dance, we have been looking at the Strictly Come Dancing Children in Need routine, working to learn some of the steps shown. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006m8dq
Please do feel free to get in contact via firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
General Maths resources:
Being at home can be the perfect opportunity to explore time further. In Year 2 we will work to recognise and tell the time on analogue and digital clocks to the hour, half past, quarter to and quarter past. Later we will also look at telling the time in five minute intervals. Making a clock to build these skills would be fantastic, then supporting children to link events to times.
Resources to support spelling:
Resources to support handwriting and letter formation:
Video stories to share at home:
Max the Brave – https://youtu.be/Gqhpv1tKww4
Supertato – https://safeyoutube.net/w/aCXM
Yoga Ogre – https://safeyoutube.net/w/kCXM
Hugless Douglas – https://safeyoutube.net/w/1BXM
Resources which you may find helpful:
Soaperheroes Yoga: https://safeYouTube.net/w/lFgN
Everybody Worries ebook: https://www.calameo.com/read/000777721945cfe5bb9cc?authid=Xu9pcOzU3TQx
COMPASS Newsletter: COMPASS Newsletter PSHE
https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/Support-tools/presentations-for-parents/ Think U Know is the name for the set of resources produced by the National Crime Agency / CEOP to help keep children safe while online.
Our class and teacher:
Video tour of our classroom here.
Document to help the children get to know a little more about me: All About Me Y2 2020-21.