Penguin Class – Year 2
Welcome to Penguin Class!
Class Teacher: Miss Sarah Moll Teaching Assistant: Mrs Emma Sayer
The ECO Team have been busy planning some activities, check them out here: Big Bunch of Bins Fundraiser
What are we up to?
In Penguin Class we are working with the children to strengthen their maths and literacy skills to complete the strong foundation which enables children to build on and engage with learning across the curriculum. We want the children to enjoy learning and see it as a process which involves investigation, fun, effort, discussion, mistakes and more; a process that will continue throughout their education and life. We are changing and adapting some of our routines and methods to try and continue best supporting children (and you) in their learning.
Please support your child to read at home each day, as well as taking time to enjoy reading a range of books for pleasure. A love of sharing books and stories will encourage children to develop their own skills and sharing a range of texts exposes them to interesting and exciting plots and language that they might struggle to read independently.
Spring 1 Learning Focus
In Maths, we are focusing on the new calculation skills of multiplication and division. In Science, we are learning about the environment, including looking at climate change and recycling.
If you have any questions about the teaching of phonics in school, and what screening involves I hope these resources are helpful:
Phonics Introduction https://youtu.be/nbfFx9n28Ok
Phonics Screening https://youtu.be/WChJAbyD5-k
Phonics phase 2 https://youtu.be/N9Y7vFmIhtI
Phonics phase 3 https://youtu.be/yjLUBDZ2E3g
Phonics phase 4 https://youtu.be/UJgOmiBFRMA
Phonics phase 5 https://youtu.be/psDRHh9jSsk
Thank you for all your support with the children’s learning, both at home and at school. I hope this will help:
- Spelling checks are on Friday. If your child is struggling, initially focus on five words to help them become confident with the pattern.
- 5/1/21 Spellings: Year 2 Term 2A Week 1 – Handwriting Continuous Cursive
- 11/1/21 Spellings: 2A 2 Handwriting
- 18/1/21 Spellings: 2A 3 Handwriting
- 25/1/21 Spellings: 2Awk 4 wordsearch Year 2 Term 2A Week 4 Handwriting Practice – Continuous Cursive
- 1/2/21 Spellings: 2A 5 Handwriting
- 8/2/21 Spellings: 2A 6 Handwriting
- Across the year we will be working to reliably use and spell the Key Stage 1 common exception words – these are words which are exceptions to spelling pattern or phonics rules that may come up in our writing. If your child is not yet confident with the year one list please give those words some extra time and attention. KS1 word list and phonemes
- Reading records are collected in and checked on Thursday, and will be returned on Monday. Returned reading books are quarantined before going back into our class library. We will try to ensure children have additional books as hey will be changed less frequently – please feel free to read other books to supplement this.
- Spelling Shed and Times Table Rock Stars Log in details are in your child’s reading record; look out for Bug Club log in details coming soon!
- The Key Instant Recall Facts for this term are here – helping your child to internalise and learn these really supports their grasp and pace in all maths work:
- The times tables we focus on are the 2, 10, 5 and 3 times tables.
- PE is on Tuesday, children should come ready for PE, with a school jumper/cardigan.
- Penguin Class will have Forest School inspired learning on alternate half terms, so will need to wear their Forest School clothing and school jumper/cardigan each Wednesday this half term (half terms 2, 4 and 6 commencing 2nd November, 22nd February, 7th June).