Penguin Class – Year 2
Welcome to Penguin Class!
Please find our curriculum newsletter here:
* Spellings for Autumn now updated *
Please note that any remote learning will be posted on Teams – all children have been reissued their log in details and taught how to log in in class (this needs practise).
Dates to remember
- PE Wednesdays. TIMETABLE CHANGE! PE will now be on Wednesday afternoons this half term.
- Spelling check Fridays.
- Monday 13/9 Roald Dahl Day: dress as a character.
- Thursday 16/9 @ 7pm: Meet the Teacher meeting. Meet the Teacher presentation sept 2021 Y2
- w/c 20/9 Recycling Week; British Food Fortnight.
- Friday 24/9 Individual photographs.
- Thursday 30/9 Harvest Festival.
- Friday 1/10 National Poetry Day and Black History Month launch.
- Monday 4/10 World Space Week.
- Friday 8/10 World Mental Health Day: wear yellow.
- Wednesday 13/10 No Pens Day.
- Friday 15/10 GOSH Race for Kids.
In Penguin Class we are consolidating key literacy and maths skills from Year one, with a strong focus on phonics, sentence building, number sense and place value. We have decided to ‘make mistakes’ this term: to challenge ourselves in our learning and be resilient in making mistakes and persevering through them.
Thank you for all your support with the children’s learning, both at home and at school. I hope this will help:
- These are the ‘common exception’ words, which we will look at in weekly spellings and assess termly: KS1 word list and phonemes
- Spellings are introduced weekly, support to learn these at home is crucial. Most have a clear pattern or rule to support learning them (the exception words do not). Apologies for the changes to spellings – we ae tweaking our approach to reflect the and link to phonics more effectively, which has also caused a delay in decodable reading books. Our spelling words this term are focusing on embedding spelling and phonics rules we have looked at previously. Year 2 spellings Autumn 2021-22
- Go Read app details can be found here and on Teams: Go Read
- Please support your child to read at home each day, as well as taking time to enjoy reading a range of books for pleasure. A love of sharing books and stories will encourage children to develop their own skills and sharing a range of texts exposes them to interesting and exciting plots and language that they might struggle to read independently.
- Spelling Shed, Bug Club and Times Table Rock Stars Log in details will be reissued and stored in spelling books – these must be in school on Fridays.
- The Key Instant Recall Facts are here – helping your child to internalise and learn these really supports their grasp and pace in all maths work:
- The times tables we focus on are the 2, 10, 5 and 3 times tables.
If you have any questions about the teaching of phonics in school, and what screening involves I hope these resources are helpful: